Current:Home > FinanceOfficials removed from North Carolina ‘eCourts’ lawsuit alleging unlawful arrests, jail time -Wealth Impact Academy
Officials removed from North Carolina ‘eCourts’ lawsuit alleging unlawful arrests, jail time
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 06:16:12
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Several state and local court officials have been removed from a federal lawsuit filed by roughly a dozen people who allege the operation of North Carolina’s new electronic courts records and case management system contributed to their unlawful arrest or extended jail detainment.
Individual plaintiffs voluntarily ended civil claims against two leaders of the state Administrative Office of the Courts, which is implementing the new “eCourts” system, clerks of Superior Court in three counties and Lee County Sheriff Brian Estes, according to court filings this week in central North Carolina federal court.
Claims remain against Mecklenburg County Sheriff Garry McFadden, Wake County Sheriff Willie Rowe and Tyler Technologies, the Texas-based technology company responsible for developing the electronic filing system, The Charlotte Observer reported.
The Administrative Office of the Courts began rolling out eCourts in February 2023 in four pilot counties. Now eCourts is in 27 counties where more than 4.5 million residents live. It’s supposed to serve courts in all 100 counties by 2025.
The plaintiffs’ dismissal notices filed Tuesday didn’t give their reasoning, but they were made “without prejudice,” meaning that the officials could still be sued.
“Our clients retain the ability to refile claims ... whether in federal court or a different forum — as we continue to learn more,” Zack Ezor, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said Wednesday.
In a court memo last month for the AOC and the clerks asking that all claims against them be dismissed, state attorneys said the lawsuit contained “fundamental factual gaps and deficiencies;” the clerks were protected by forms of immunity; and the plaintiffs were wrongly inviting a federal court to interfere in the state’s administration of its criminal justice system.
“We are pleased that plaintiffs dismissed their meritless claims against (AOC) and court officials,” Graham Wilson, a state courts spokesperson, said in a statement. “This dismissal should answer inaccuracies regarding eCourts as we remain focused on completing this generational expansion of access to justice for North Carolina.”
The plaintiffs allege software errors and human errors have led to multiple arrests on the same warrants and extra time in jail after release conditions were met. The plaintiffs have provided names of nearly 70 people who spent extra time in the Mecklenburg County jail during the first few weeks of eCourts’ rollout in the country last fall. They have blamed McFadden’s “negligence” for excess jail time for some people.
But a court memo filed on behalf of the sheriff last month said that “while someone may be to blame for the delays in their release, it is not Sheriff McFadden.”
veryGood! (442)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- 'I don't believe in space:' Texas Tech DB Tyler Owens makes bold statement at NFL combine
- Musk’s X asks judge to penalize nonprofit researchers tracking rise of hate speech on platform
- Karol G's Private Jet Makes Emergency Landing in Los Angeles
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Video shows person of interest in explosion outside Alabama attorney general’s office
- Chrysler recalls more than 338,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees over steering wheel issue
- South Carolina lawmakers finally debate electing judges, but big changes not expected
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Stephen Baldwin Shares Cryptic Message After Praying for Justin and Hailey Bieber
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- NYPD chief misidentifies judge in social media post condemning bail decision
- Teen charged with killing 2 people after shooting in small Alaska community of Point Hope
- Georgia bills in doubt at deadline include immigration crackdown, religious liberty protections
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Measles can be deadly and is highly contagious — here's what to know about this preventable disease
- NYPD chief misidentifies judge in social media post condemning bail decision
- North Carolina’s public system will require colleges to get OK before changing sports conferences
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
RHOBH's Erika Jayne Claps Back at Denise Richards' Lip-Synching Dig
Kensington Palace puts Princess Kate social media theories to rest amid her absence from the public eye
At least 3 injured in shooting at Southern California dental office
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Alexey Navalny's team announces Moscow funeral arrangements, tells supporters to come early
New Billie Jean King Award will honor excellence in women's sports coverage. What to know
Oklahoma softball goes from second fiddle to second to none with Love's Field opening